1) Lea Michele wowed me by wearing a stunning dove grey Atelier Versace Fall 2010 Couture gown, with a thigh high slit. This is such an unexpected look from the ‘Glee’ star who usually goes for large Oscar de la Renta ballgowns, sculpted Marchesa designs, or glittery Jenny Packham frocks. So needless to say, when I saw the star not wearing something within her comfort zone and totally out of her box of tricks, my jaw dropped. I always pictured this gown on someone like Angelina Jolie, but well, I have to say that Lea works the hell out of this stunning design.
2) Natalie Portman looked absolutely stunning as she made her appearance on the SAG Awards telecast as a presenter wearing a stunning plum colored Giambattista Valli Spring 2012 Couture gown with a draped chest ruffle. I think that this looks amazing on her and that it is a great choice for her. This gown makes me think of two gowns, one a pink Rodarte Natalie wore to the 2009 Oscars and a purple gown worn by Amy Adams to the SAG’s in 2009 by Giambattista Valli as well. I think that that Natalie totally rocks this dress.
3) Emma Stone took a risk by wearing this tea-length Alexander McQueen Pre-Fall 2012 gown with a chest ruffle, and I will say it paid off. There is no real innovation in the styling, as it is the same Alexander McQueen clutch that was paired with the dress in the lookbook, and a pair of ruffled Alexander McQueen black peep-toe pumps. But Emma just has the stature to make this look amazing on her.
4) Viola Davis has started taking risks on the red carpet this awards season, and I believe she is doing this because she actually has a shot of winning (and has won most of the awards sans Golden Globe that she has been nominated for) and knows that her face will be all over the news and magazines holding her award. She won last night, and is all over the media in her stunning white Marchesa gown with golden embroidery and embellishment on the bust. Viola really let the dress do the talking by adding a bronze clutch and a few bracelets. Wind whipped up do completed her amazing look.
5) Emily Blunt blew things out of the water again when she attended the SAG Awards with husband and ‘The Office’ star John Krasinski. I don’t know what it is, but my favorite looks from Emily are not from when she is actually dressing as a presenter or a nominee, but when she is dressing as the arm candy of her husband. She definitely did so wearing this green Oscar de la Renta Resort 2012 gown. No one quite does elegant and sexy at the same time like Oscar and I am so excited to see her wear this dress; I thought it was lost forever in the archives as there have been two new collections since this was presented.
6) Baby got back is really all I have to say about Kyra Candlewick’s orange halter Emilio Pucci gown with side cutouts. For 46, Kyra looks fantastic in a gown that was most likely intended for a celebrity in her 20’s.
7) Naya Rivera looked fantastic and the best she ever has worn is this ice blue Naeem Khan Spring 2012 RTW gown, that she modified to be sleeveless. I think that Naya has finally found a silhouette that works for her, and I hope her days of tacky taffeta ballgowns with thigh high slits are gone. This is elegant and sexy, without being trashy or high school prom which are things that Naya seemed to favor in the past. She let the gown do all the talking by wearing a minimal amount of small style jewelry and not carrying a clutch.
8) Amber Riley completes the ‘Glee’ girls who made my top 10 at this event. The plus sized actress looked phenomenal wearing this black lace Badgley Mischka cocktail dress with a bow accented bust. I have read lots of criticism of the bow, but I think that it is the best feature on her, as it draws attention to two of her best features and her face. She wisely added a simple black clutch and black peep toe pumps.
9) I don’t really know who Emilia Clarke is, but I will say that she looked absolutely stunning last night at the SAG Awards wearing a Chanel Fall 2011 RTW gown with a white top that has puff sleeves and a black feather skirt paired with a black jeweled belt. This is actually a red carpet re-run, Zoe Kravitz wore this gown last year, but I will say that Emilia wears it better; Zoe removed the belt which is desperately needed to complete this look. Messy pulled back hair and red lip color completes this regal look.
10) Rose Byrne also took a huge risk that paid off at the 2012 SAG Awards by wearing this Elie Saab Fall 2009 Couture jumpsuit. Now I can remember celebs trying to wear jumpsuits on this red carpet in the past, but none of them payed off like it has for Rose. This look is amazing, and she accessorized it in the right way by adding a waist band, a Jimmy Choo clutch, and a statement bracelet. These elements created the perfect red carpet approach to wearing this jumpsuit.