Amidst the outcry of refugees and families being ripped apart over the weekend at the hand of President Trump, those who were seeking an escape from reality got just that. While watching a red carpet and commenting on fashion may seen frivolous in the new times that we live in it provides that escape from the geopolitical sphere that we all need from time to time. While stars brought out their voices to speak out against political issues through the night it was done in the classiest way possible, and they looked pretty good while doing it.
1) Evan Rachel Wood in custom Altuzarra: Evan Rachel Wood made a promise to herself that as she makes the awards show rounds this year that she will defy the expected and wear a pantsuit for every red carpet she walks. Now this can be seen as a pro-Hillary Clinton move, (could Evan be a member of Pantsuit Nation?) but I honestly believe that Evan is doing it because she wants to help define femininity in the modern era. When she steps out in perfectly tailored suits who can stop her? Evan walked the SAG Awards red carpet wearing a gorgeous custom Altuzarra dark blue velvet double breasted tuxedo ticking the pants trend box, the blue trend box, and the velvet trend box. Suit after suit, especially from the same label, can come across as tired and boring. Evan has looked fresh each time she has stepped out, and has made the best dressed list every single time. 2) Thandie Newton in Schiaparelli Fall 2016 Couture: A few of the best dressed women from the Golden Globe Awards followed that appearance with another amazing look at the SAG Awards. Thandie’s custom Monse gown at the Globe’s was that modern glamour and it total opposites from her Schiaparelli Fall 2016 Couture SAG Awards gown. The gorgeous tan tea length Schiaparelli Fall 2016 Couture gown which features whimsical carnival meets caveman pattern and a velvet asymmetrical harness neckline was one of the biggest risks of the night, and it definitely paid off. After a while where she dipped off the best dressed radar I am glad to see that with the success of Westworld that Thandie is back on top.
3) Angela Sarafayn in Zac Posen Spring 2017 RTW: The Westworld girls dominated the red carpets at the SAG Awards last night. Evan, Thandie and now Angela Sarafayn take the top 3 spots on the best dressed list. While the first two were cemented fashion stars, Angela is a new face and she is definitely proving one to watch. Her gorgeous black and pink glitter paisley Zac Posen Spring 2017 RTW flocked tulle décolleté neckline gown which features a deep v-neckline, a fitted bodice, exaggerated hips, and a maxi column skirt. With a silhouette that likens to Lady Gaga’s Atelier Versace gown at the 2016 Golden Globe Awards, Angela took a big risk and it paid off in a major way. When it comes to print on the red carpet sometimes it doesn’t go over very well, but this is a perfect red carpet moment for Angela and she rocked it to the maximum of her potential.
4) Kerry Washington in Roberto Cavalli Couture: Political statements were amass on the red carpet via all kind of different variations. The most subtle of them all was probably the silver safety pin that Kerry Washington affixed to the sleeve of her gorgeous white Roberto Cavalli Couture gown. Kerry brought 90’s glamour to the SAG Awards red carpet with a fitted embellished Cavalli Couture gown which features slightly flared sleeves was one of the most glam moments of the night. The 90’s have been having a major resurgence in the fashion world and I am extremely excited that Kerry gave that to us, and not by way of the slip dress (which has become very supersaturated already.) 5: Ellie Kemper in custom Wai Ming: Blue and velvet. Two off the biggest trends last night and Ellie Kemper rocked them both in the most glamorous way possible in her custom one shoulder Wai Ming column gown. I think this may have come as one of the bigger shocks of the night for me. Ellie usually hits the red carpet wearing a gown in a gorgeous bold pattern so this solid gown was a glamorous departure for her. I always love a sapphire hew on a red head and Ellie more than delivered an extremely modern, yet classic, moment on the SAG Awards red carpet.
6) Michelle Dockery in Elie Saab: While Ellie may have left bold pattern at home there were still many other bold graphic gowns on the red carpet. Michelle Dockery was one of the few who opted to go for the bold wearing a multicolored stripe Elie Saab gown which hails inspiration from the labels Spring 2017 RTW collection. Michelle is another one of those who once was on top of best dressed lists that has taken a few steps down and it was nice to see her back on top again last night.
7) Octavia Spencer in custom Tadashi Shoji: I started this awards season lobbying for Octavia Spencer to expand her repertoire of designers over the course of awards season. She started that at the beginning of awards season and her looks kinda fell flat. Last night she back back in her go to label, Tadashi Shoji, and the look was magic. Octavia seems to have a different demeanor when she wears a Tadashi look on the red carpet and I have to say that despite this being a black gown that the embroidery detail make it far from boring. I love that Octavia embraces her curves and Tadashi sure knows how to showcase them in the most flattering way possible. Her gorgeous Jacob & Co. earrings really made this look perfection for Octavia. 7) Annalise Basso in Bibhu Mohapatra Fall 2016 RTW: Annalise Basso was one of the first on the SAG Awards red carpet and she definitely brought the drama to the red carpet. Annalise wore a gorgeous raspberry red Bibhu Mohapatra Fall 2016 RTW gown which features cape-like sleeves, a criss-cross off the shoulder neckline, and a flowing skirt and let me tell you Annalise definitely worked those sleeves to their full potential. I had previously seen Annalise on the red carpet at a few of the events leading up to this red carpet, but this gown really made my take notice of her.
8) Emma Stone in Alexander McQueen Pre-Fall 2017: While I was expecting something absolutely major from Emma Stone on the SAG Awards red carpet her gorgeous feminine Alexander McQueen Pre-Fall 2017 gown was still very very pretty. This is one of those gowns that I don’t know if I would have liked on many others and Emma wears it so extremely well. Not every single of Emma’s looks are going to be the Dior moment that she had on the SAG red carpet a few years ago. Given the more casual nature of the SAG Awards this gown was absolute perfection.
9) Teresa Palmer in Valentino Spring 2017 RTW: Rounding out this list is Teresa Palmer, who was probably the dark horse in contention for making this list. I didn’t even know that Teresa was going to be on the red carpet at the SAG Awards last night. My first thought was that she was a last minute switch in for her Hacksaw Ridge co-star Andrew Garfield, who was sick and unable to attend. Teresa was gorgeous in one the Valentino Spring 2017 RTW gowns that I most wanted to see on the red carpet. This gown is a straight line, which makes it hard to wear without looking completely shapeless, and despite that I think that between the moodiness that Teresa had on the red carpet and the couture like beading of the gown that she really pulls this hard to wear look off.
The next big red carpets are the BAFTA and Grammy Awards which take place on the same day February 12, 2017.