Last night at the Barker Hanger in Santa Monica was the second major red carpet of the year, the Critics Choice Awards. The race to the Oscars is definitely in full swing and the stars are delivering major moments. Last night had to be one of my favorite Critics Choice Awards red carpets ever and that’s despite the fact that the cast of The Favourite wasn’t there. Could there be Best Dressed of the Year worthy moment on this list? I do love many of them so anything is possible. 1) Viola Davis in custom Michael Kors: Topping this years list is the gorgeous Viola Davis. It has been a long time since I have really loved one of Viola’s red carpet moments and last night she reminded me why I love her. She rocked a bronze sequin custom Michael Kors one shoulder gown which features a draped bodice and a mermaid silhouette last night as she presented Claire Foy with the #SeeHer Award, which Viola won last year. It was such a glamour moment. I am praying we see more major glamour moments from her soon. 2) Lady Gaga in custom Calvin Klein by Appointment: Every time Lady Gaga steps out she blows me away. I loved the dramatic simplicity of the soft peach sherbet custom Calvin Klein by Appointment loose fit gown. Sometimes these loose fitting gowns don’t work because the wearer can get lost in all the extra fabric. Gaga had no issues with that. I did like that she didn’t match her hair to her gown like she did at the Golden Globe Awards. She tied in the Best Actress category last night with Glenn Close and I think that just proves that this is a two horse race. Gaga brings the drama and this look just proved why I love her.
3) Emmy Rossum in Ralph Lauren Fall 2018 RTW: Emmy Rossum plays the role of the perfect plus one perfectly. She has always been one of my favorite ladies to see on the red carpet. She showed me why once again on the red carpet at the Critics Choice Awards last night wearing a gorgeous deep cranberry red velvet Ralph Lauren Fall 2018 RTW gown which features a dramatic plunging neckline and a chic a-line skirt. The whole sexy vibe of this gown really made me fall in love with it and her styling and beauty just really ensured that this was a really glamorous statement moment on the red carpet.
4) Patricia Clarkson in Georges Chakra Fall 2018 RTW: Another major red carpet another major moment from Patricia Clarkson. The Sharp Objects star knows how to deliver the perfect mixture of drama, glamour, and sex appeal and I always get excited to see what she will deliver on the red carpet. Last night she gave a perfect showing of that mixture wearing a black Georges Chakra Fall 2018 Couture long sleeve gown which features a plunging neckline, beaded embellishments, sheer paneled back, a fit and flare silhouette, and a center split. She just exuded femme fatale glamour and I was buying everything she was selling. 5) Emily Blunt in custom Prada: Emily Blunt was practically perfect from head to toe last night wearing a white custom Prada gown which featured crystal beading on the halter neckline and scattered through the whole of the gown, a column skirt, and a keyhole cutout. It was a beautiful and glamorous moment and Emily really sold it to me. She tends to be her best when she goes for more simplistic styles and that is what this gown was. The chic waves, simple makeup, and her crystal embellished accessories added the perfect finishing touches to this ensemble.
6) John Legend in Ermenegildo Zenga XXX: Last night was a really major night for menswear on the red carpet. John Legend was just one of the guys who took a fashion risk. I loved his rust brown Ermenegildo Zenga XXX couture patterned silk suit which featured a one button double breasted jacket that he paired with a chocolate brown turtleneck and oxfords. It all made him look like a snack from head to toe. Everything about the look from the color to the texture just worked perfectly with John’s complexion and I can’t think of another guy who could have sold it to me with the effortless swag that he did.
7) Timothee Chalamet in Alexander McQueen Spring 2019 Menswear: Speaking of effortless swag I can’t laud John without also lauding Timothee Chalamet. He always brings his a-game to the red carpet and he showed everyone why I love him last night wearing a multicolored brushstroke print Alexander McQueen Spring 2019 Menswear silk suit. Again this is a suit that I really can’t imagine many being able to pull this off, but Timmy does it with ease. I love that he continues to shun ties on the red carpet instead opting for t-shirts. He also rocked a pair of sneakers. I usually don’t get behind sneakers on the red carpet, especially in a formal setting, but Timothee really just made it work. 8) Mandy Moore in custom Michael Kors: There was a lot of white on the red carpet last night. Mandy Moore gave us the most modern white moment wearing a custom white fully sequined Michael Kors column gown which features long sleeves, side cutouts, and a belted waist. It wasn’t something I would expect from Mandy and I definitely think that she was able to sell it to me. She rocked the sleek, modern glamour from head to toe and did it well.
9) Laura Harrier in custom Louis Vuitton: On the opposite side of the white gown spectrum Laura Harrier brought us old Hollywood glamour on the Critics Choice Awards red carpet wearing a chic starburst embellished custom Louis Vuitton gown which features long sleeves, a plunging neckline, twist detail, and a column silhouette. Laura was the first major gown on the red carpet and I have to say I doubted if this was Louis Vuitton for a moment. It reminded me of some Prada and Miu Miu details that I have seen and it just didn’t have any of the typical LV signatures. I think that’s what makes me love it more. It wasn’t what I would have expected from Louis Vuitton and Laura looked absolutely beautiful in his creation.
10) Michelle Yeoh in Marchesa Pre-Fall 2019: Rounding out the list is the gorgeous Michelle Yeoh. I have long been a fan of the Chinese actress and I am so happy that she brought the glamour to the red carpet last night. I have been waiting for a real important star to wear a Marchesa gown on the red carpet this awards season and Michelle delivered it last night at the Critics Choice Awards wearing this red one shoulder cape caftan style gown. I loved it. It was a very glamorous moment and Michelle just wore it with effortless ease. It got me really excited to see her the rest of awards season.
Who was your Best Dressed at the 2019 Critics Choice Awards?